Suggestions for Group Leaders
Meeting Six: Fifth Week of Lent
Outline of Meeting
1. Opening Prayer
– Take a couple of minutes of quiet prayer
to ask God to be with you during the meeting. Pray that God might speak to
the heart of each person in the group.
- Ask each individual to go over their prayer times
this week; give them a moment to consult their journal.
You might ask them:
3. Finding God in All Things
- How did you find praying the daily Scripture of the other meditation?
- Did anything surprise you?
- Did any of the Scripture passages or other meditations have any special meaning for you?
- How did you feel over the week? Would you describe yourself as joyful, listless or some other overall feeling?
- What is God saying to you?
If you have the facilities it would be good to show this or a similar video
Where do you see the goodness of God in this video?
meditation below can be used either in addition to, or instead of the video.
You may like to play some meditative instrumental music during this meditation. Something quiet and reflective.
- Stilling: Spend a moment moving into a comfortable position and then quieten with a stilling exercise.
- God's Presence: We are in the presence of God.
Ask for what we need: Let us ask God to guide our minds and hearts during these moments of reflection to show us what God knows we need to see.
God in our World:
We now spend a few minutes and ponder on where we see the goodness of God in the world.
How many different situations and different people have reflected the goodness of God's creation
for us. (Spend between 3 and 5 minutes on this)
- Absence of God: Let us for a moment consider the opposite: where have you found it difficult to find God in the world?
Go through as many different situations, and maybe people, you can think of.
- Let us remember that everything in creation has its purpose, everything has its place.
- Co-Creators: Let us spend a little time reflecting on how human beings co-operate with the Creator and make the world a better place to live in.
- Selfishness: Now let us take a short time reflecting upon how human beings abuse God's creation and make the world a worse place to live in.
Why do people do such things?
- My Place in the World: Finally reflect upon your own contribution to the world we live in. How far do
you co-operate with the creator and bring life and joy to the world?
After this meditation it would be good to go over the first four questions and get people to talk to their neighbour about what came to their mind.
Then find out how many different things they can come up with as a group. You may have someone make note of this on a flip-chart.
When considering the negative questions, remind them not to name names.
4. Looking Forward
– Make sure the time and venue etc. of the next meeting is clear.
5. Thank everyone for coming.